Lemon cakes are super simple to make. But also if you wanna turn it into a vegan treat? Sure! Here’s our easy and delicious recipe:
- 300g whole wheat flower
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 110g cane sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- 100g (3.5oz) olive oil
- 1 vanilla bean
- 240g coconut yoghurt
- 50g margarine (vegan)
- 100ml lemon juice, freshly pressed
- A pinch of poppy seeds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 200g icing sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice, freshly pressed
- 1 tsp water (if needed)
And now, for the magic:
- Pre-heat your oven at 160°C / 320°F.
- Mix the flower, baking powder, vanilla, lemon zest, coconut yoghurt, poppy seeds, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Add the olive oil, melted margarine and lemon juice. Mix all ingredients until you get a smooth dough.
- Grease your cake form with margarine.
- Fill your cake batter into the form and place it in your oven for 45-50 minutes. Check with a long toothpick if the cake is done. Cover the cake with some aluminium foil, if it needs a bit more time and your cake already has the right color.
- Let the cake cool off.
- Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice until you receive a creamy texture. If it’s not creamy enough, add a tiny bit of water. The icing shouldn’t be too liquid.
- Spread the icing on top of your cold cake.
Did you try our recipe? Share some photos – we’d love to see your creation.